On our trip to New York for Scott’s Pizza Tour a few weeks ago Rich got to NYC hungry (what else is new) before the tour. He really wanted to get a good NYC bagel, but we didn’t pass by any. Finally we passed Bird Bath Bakery and we decided that was a good place to stop. After viewing the tasty treats all over the green/organic bakery counter he settled on something called a “Candied Ginger Pear Muffin”. After taking 1 bite I was informed that “OMG, Rachel you HAVE to learn how to make these” at which point I laughed (remember, I am a cook – not a baker)!
BUT – I decided to be a good girlfriend took a few bites & tried to get ideas. Then pizza fun started & eventually the weekend was over and I decided to see if I could locate this bakery online and maybe get some insight from them about these muffins. I emailed them and told them the back story & asked if they would give me any advice. Their advice was: favorite cornbread recipe (I located one, haha), add candied ginger & pear. WELL – that didn’t seem TOO helpful, but I was willing to give it a shot. Right before I headed into the kitchen I decided to do a search for “Candied Ginger Pear Muffins” and lo & behold – Maury Rubin, the owner of Bird Bath had been on Martha Stewart in May…. cooking these exact muffins!!
My search for my “favorite muffin with those things added” turned into the bakery’s own version! The taste was right on, but the texture was not quite right – these were too “muffin-ey” and not “dense/airy” enough… I know those don’t make sense together, but it could be “chunkier” while also being lighter (I didn’t have the oat flour or course cornmeal – so next time, thats the change).
- Nonstick cooking spray or unsalted butter, for muffin tins
- 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coarse cornmeal
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large Bosc pears, cored and chopped, 3 tablespoons reserved for garnish
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons finely chopped candied ginger
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 1/4 cups plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons prepared applesauce
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 12 (4 1/2-ounce) individual muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray or coat with butter; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, cornmeal, and oat flour. Whisk in baking powder. Add sugar, and whisk to combine. Stir in pears and 1/2 cup ginger.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, canola oil, yogurt, and applesauce. Add to flour mixture and stir to combine; stir in butter.
- Fill prepared muffin tins 2/3 full with batter. In a small bowl, mix together reserved chopped pears and remaining 2 tablespoons ginger; sprinkle evenly over batter. Transfer to oven and bake until golden, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer pans to a wire rack. Let muffins cool 15 minutes in pans before serving.
Read more at Marthastewart.com: Corn Muffins with Pear and Candied Ginger – Martha Stewart Recipes