Jalapeno Poppers are delicious. They also happen to be one of not only Rich’s but also his Father’s favorite snacks.
Unfortunately the “typical” Jalapeno Poppers are not really all that healthy. In the past I have made super easy Poppers by just stuffing the cheesey goodness into the Peppers. Then you can top them with some bread crumbs for that classic crunch. But, if you crave some carbohydrates with your poppers, this method could not be any simpler. This way you still get your Breading with the mess/fat of the Calories!
Making these poppers takes just mere minutes and is an incredible bang for your buck, tastes buds, and time!
Jalapeno Poppers in a Blanket
- 12 medium size step-on, straight, jalapenos (choose straight ones with stem on)
- 8 oz. light cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- ¾ cup shredded sharp cheddar and monterrey jack cheeses
- 4 cloves [roasted] garlic (more or less according to taste)
- 1 package Crescent Roll Dough (pre-cut or cut your own, if it is pre-cut you are going to want to cut each triangle into 2)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Split the jalapeno pepper lengthwise and core (be careful not to touch the seeds and membrane too much, it can get quite dangerous so use gloves or a spoon and wash hands well). In mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, shredded cheese, & [roasted] garlic. Mix well.
- Stuff each half of the jalapenos with the mixture. Place the jalapeno diagonally on the crescent and wrap around the jalapeno. Pinch the edges together tightly. On an un-greased cookie sheet (or foil lined) leave enough space between each popper for it to puff. Bake for about 12 minutes or until golden brown.
inspired by the Ravenous Couple
As I write this post… I bet that you could probably just throw these little gems on the Grill as you are making your other goodies (maybe on a piece of foil for about the same time) – go for it and let me know how that works!
ENJOY – what I love about these is that the pepper still keeps its shape and retains some crunch to it – totally healthy and yummy (or for an even healthier Popper Bite, try basically the same thing but without the crescent or puff pastry and just top the popper with some bread crumbs: a go-to summer snack around here, we’ll be sure to photography once our Jalapeno Harvest comes in!)
And I leave you with this, Today’s Question of the Day… what if your favorite Summer Appetizer (I’ve got a whole list of fun things to make, but can’t wait to add some more ideas)