As the Summer Produce Season is now in full swing, you need to take advantage of all the fresh & amazing treats you see in the markets and farm stands and gardens and farmer’s markets! During the delicious fresh veggie season, we sometimes go weeks without touching any meats – with delicious meals like this Portabella stuffed with Ratatouille, who needs it!?
Portabella Mushrooms are so thick and filling that they eat like a meat. Then you combine that with your favorite Ratatouille chock-full of spice and tons of flavor. If you need some starch to go with your meal, serve on a bed of Orzo or Rice (Rich had his on a bed of Orzo tossed in a smokey Olive Oil, while I went the low-carb way and ate it as you see it).
- 4 large Portabella mushrooms, stems & gills removed
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced/diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup Red Wine
- pinch dried pepper flakes, & salt/pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme/rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 sprig fresh basil per Portabella
- Heat Olive Oil in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic; saute until translucent. Add eggplant, saute 5 minutes; add red pepper & zucchini and saute another few minutes until things start to get soft (3-5 minutes). Deglaze your pan with some Red Wine. Add your spices, mix well and taste. Allow to simmer and mix over low heat for about 15-20 minutes until tender and starting to become thick and delicious and well cooked!
- While your Ratatouille is coming together, brush both sides of mushrooms with oil and pre-heat your grill. Place rounded side down on grate over moderate heat. Grill until bottoms are golden, turn and grill until tender. Place your grilled Mushrooms directly onto places and fill with your Ratatouille
- Top with some fresh basil and some cheese or whatever else makes your happy.
Inspired by a wide variety of delicious blogs from around the net… Oh my Veggies, BBC Good Food, & Net Places!
Two Years Ago – *21 & Up Only* Mudslide Jello Jiggler Shots
And I Leave you with This, Today’s Question of the Day… What summer produce can you just not pass up & have to buy up as soon as you see it?