I did a LOT of DIY for my July 20, 2013 Wedding. There were a few projects that I got help from my bridesmaids and friends (like my placecards to go on my Homemade Olive Oils). There were (many) other things that my *now* husband helped me with for the wedding. These Hangers for my Bridesmaids and Myself were one of those!
Custom hangers are all over the internet (hello Etsy – I love you), but I knew that I had enough craft-ability to be able to make these myself! As Wedding Photographers ourselves, I LOVE when the Bride’s Dress is on a cool hanger, so I knew that I needed one of these. Once I got to figuring it out though, I realized it would be awesome to make a hanger for each one of my ladies (hey, we all need to spoil a special piece of clothing in our closet). Since these were a gift for my girls, I could not ask their help – but my husband is very handy and was the perfect partner in crime to help me make these!
With just a bit of determination and some research, these hangers were really easy to make! The hardest part of this project for me is that my cursive handwriting is not the best, but I could handle it for just a few names!
The girl’s dresses looked awesome on the hangers the day of the wedding, I will get photos of that from my amazing photographers *MK Photography* soon to add here. This is another one of my DIY projects that although it took some time, it was totally worth the time/effort/minimal cost to make. Please don’t be scared to make your own things – it means so much more when you make it than just buying it from someone – and I have given you some step-by-step directions, with photos, to try it yourself! Please don’t hesitate to contact me with questions as well!!!
Materials & Tools
- Wooden Hangers (Target has beautiful ones at a great price)
- 12 gauge jewelry wire for making wrapped jewelry OR floral wire – each name will take between about 3 – 5 feet of wire
- Wood/Craft glue
- Needle nose pliers and/or any other jewelry pliers you might have
- wire cutters
- drill/bit – one of the smallest you can find, just test you wire against your bit!
- Pen & Paper
1. Write out your word/name on a piece of paper so you can correctly judge the size. Working carefully and just playing as you go, shape the letters – be sure to leave enough (extra) wire on each side so you can get the name centered on the hanger.
2. Figure out exactly where you want your name to be attached to the hanger and make a mark with the drill bit. Drill a little hole straight down into the hanger first to get it started and then go at an angle to drill in (as far as you can without going through) to make a deep hole for your wire to go in. Clip any extra wire you have so your name is centered, work with one side at a time. Put some Glue onto your wire before you put the wire into the hanger. Then do the same thing to the other side.
3. Once the glue has set up for an hour or less, add some more glue to help hold the wire in place at exactly the angle you want it in there. Let this dry at least over night! You could even finish this off with some ribbon or flowers if you like. These make great gifts for a new baby/mom or those special girls in your life (brides, bridesmaids, etc).
One Year Ago – Grilled Peaches topped with delicious ricotta & drizzled with high quality balsamic. Summer grilling at its most delicious – who said the grill is just for meats anymore!?
And I leave you with this, Today’s Question of the Day… What have you DIY’ed after seeing it somewhere else and knowing you could do it just as well (if not better)?