COMFORT FOOD! Warm, Creamy, Cheesy Casseroles just bring a smile to one’s face.
The Great Balancing act of Comfort Food lies in enjoying these amazing dishes while still enjoying your current wardrobe! This Cheesy Rice Casserole has all of the flavor and comfort and cheese that you want, but it also has a benefit of all the nutrition of cooked spinach! So no, this is not health food – but it’s a doable addition to your weekly rotation.
Hellzapoppin is an older (classic) dish which many people have never even heard of. Now that you know this dish though, you will find yourself turning to it again. You could even make this in smaller portions with leftover rice if you want.
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- small pinch each of thyme and marjoram
- 1 pound grated Sharp Cheddar (or cheese of choice)
- 1 package chopped frozen spinach (about 1½ cups)
- 1 cup milk
- Pre-heat your oven to 375. Beat the eggs until light, then add in the milk and your seasonings.
- Fold in your Cheese (reserve a little cheese to sprinkle on top) and Spinach. Finally mix your rice into the rest of the mixture.
- Pour the whole thing into a greased casserole & sprinkle with remaining cheese). Set into a 375 degree oven to bake for at least 35 minutes (optionally broil at the end to brown everything up really well)
From My Memory of working/making this at Quiet Valley and Slash Food
And I leave you with this, Today’s Question of the Day… What “old” foods do you love?