Cupcakes bring a smile to everyone’s face. These Cupcakes could not be much easier – you start with a delicious cake mix, add some fall flavors, and you have cupcakes sure to make even the most hesitant fall-lover smile!
People who are super-dedicated DIY cooks are often against any sort of box mix. I say, use that box mix – but make it your own! The addition of Pumpkin to this Box Mix makes it so rich and dense that it is beyond amazing, no one will even think that it is from a mix. Sure, it is satisfying to make something from scratch – but if you can find a mix to help you without the taste suffering, then go for it! There are many box mixes or frozen meals which this rule does not apply to. Often using prepared items from the store make your life and plates even easier. Um, hello, have you ever heard of Sandra Lee’s Semi Homemade – I am sure these are cupcakes she would 100% approve of, just be sure to always make your frosting.
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box Vanilla Cake Mix
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon each more ginger, cloves, & cinnamon
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 dozen muffin tins with paper liners.
- Mix together the cake and pudding mixes, pumpkin pie spice, spices, sour cream, pumpkin, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Beat using an electric mixer well for about two minutes on medium speed until well combined!
- Using a large cookie scoop, distribute the batter between 24 muffin wells; about 3 tablespoons of batter per well. Bake in preheated oven for 18-22 minutes or until the tops of the cakes spring back when lightly touched. Allow cupcakes to cool inside muffin tins for about 10 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from muffin tins and allow to fully cool on a wire rack. Once cupcakes are cool, prepare your frosting.
- 1 package (8-ounces) cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- approx. 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter on medium-high speed for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the spices and mix well for another minute or so.
- Turn the mixer down to low speed and gradually add in the confectioners' sugar until it is completely incorporated. Add in vanilla and maple until incorporated.
- Turn off the mixer and check the frosting for taste and texture. Add more Sugar or liquid as needed to get the consistency just right. Turn the mixer back up to medium-high speed and beat the mixture for about 3-4 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Place your frosting into a piping bag, fitted with a star tip and pipe directly onto your cupcakes. Decorate with cinnamon or sprinkles or granulated sugar.