Before I got so into cooking, I was quite the crafty lady! I am now trying to find time in my life to balance my two loves (make that four loves, since I have to find time for the dogs and hubby in there too). These Cupcakes combine two of my favorite things – food (cupcakes to be exact) and crafts! Blogging is also near the top of the list for my favorite things with my family (and food). I love going to school and seeing my students grow into fantastic leaders, I enjoy teaching and hopefully making a positive impact on their lives. I enjoy being a big-kid at heart and making others smile. OH YEAH – making others smile… if you don’t want to whip up a batch of Cupcake Ornaments, you can WIN some at the bottom of this post 🙂
These adorable little cupcake ornaments can be made in about a million different colors and take next to no artistic ability to make! A few supplies (from the Dollar Store or favorite Craft Supply Store OR things that you might already have on hand) and a bit of time – and these little treats are ready to go!
We have a few hanging on our tree, everyone who got cookies from me for the Great Food Blog Cookie Swap got one, they’ll be great as gifts for my sweet-toothed friends, or you could even make a whole cupcake tree (how cool would that be if you were a bakery owner!).
Seriously… can we stop and just look at how adorable these little guys are – you could even make a whole bunch and then get slightly bigger boxes & give people A Dozen Cupcakes this holiday!
All you need to whip up a batch of these yourself is…
- * Mini Cupcake Liners (I used 2 - 3 times as many liners as I did ornaments)
- * Medium-Sized Christmas Balls (they came 12 to a tube at Dollar Tree, the medium NOT the tiny ones)
- * Glue Stick
- * Fabric Paint (I have a BUNCH left over from assorted projects through the years, that stuff lasts way longer than I thought it would!
- Glue two or three paper liners (I used just plain white ones, but you could go with foil or something more fancy here) together to give a bit more depth. Just glue the bottoms, otherwise you will lose the "fluff". Put glue around the bottom ⅓ of the ball and place carefully into the cupcake liner.
- Holding the liner, pick your base color and paint a (not perfect) circle around the top of the ball, as if you were frosting your cupcake an fill in it. Repeat with as many ornaments as you plan on making.
- Then go back and add sprinkles (jimmies?) - feel free to just do one color per ornament or go crazy like I did!
Special thanks to I love to Create for the inspiration for the project!
And I leave you with this, Today’s Question of the Day… What are some of your “favorite things”?* extra credit if you can fit your answer in place of the Sound of Music lyrics!