COOKIES! Nothing says love the way that cookies do and with these cookies being studded with bright red and stark white specks, they just shout out to you, asking for you to share with your love this Valentines Day.
Think about some of your favorite things about the individual elements of each of the parts of the cookie that we have here. You have the super sweet coming from the Maraschino Cherries.There is a rich creaminess thanks to the White Chocolate Chips. Finally you have a bit of the nutty chewiness from the Oatmeal in this Oatmeal Cookie.
Lets summarize these cookies a bit… We first have the beautiful appearance that comes from the contrasting colors of the cherries and chocolate. Then we also have the different complex delicious flavors. Finally – they are a soft & chewy oatmeal cookie, the perfect kind. Overall, I’m telling you, these cookies are fantastic!
I can imagine these cookies being so perfect for Christmas (a co-worker thought they tasted like The Holidays). You could even chop up some green chocolate (like the melting chips) and use those along with the bright red cherries. If you prefer your chocolate to be brown instead of white, give these cookies a shot with regular chocolate chips! My Valentine said these could also be called Manhattan Cookies because they had the sweet deliciousness of the Cherry at the bottom of a Manhattan (he wanted me to change the title of these – but he did not win that discussion, obviously)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup (50 g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup chopped white chocolate or white chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup Maraschino cherries, well drained and sliced into quarters to eights
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside. With an electric (or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment), combine the butter and sugars. Mix until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla, combine well another minute or so.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together with a rubber spatula or large spoon. Stir in the oats, sliced cherries, and chocolate chips. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes. While chilling, preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line a large baking sheet with a silicone baking mat (or parchment paper) and set aside.
- Roll the dough into balls, about 3 Tablespoons of dough each, and place on prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Gently flatten the dough balls with the palm of your hand. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are set and golden brown around the edges. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
As originally spotted on Yummy Addiction
Two Years Ago – Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
And I leave you with this, Today’s Question of the Day… What is your ideal Valentine?