These Pizza Bites were a HUGE hit!! Even the kids I made these for, who would probably not normally choose to eat mushrooms or spinach on their pizza on a regular day, told me that I could make these for them any time that I wanted to.
They may not taste exactly like a slice of pizza, but they have everything about a fully loaded slice of pizza that you know and love, especially if you love to dip your slices of pizza into a cup of sauce. I personally love to dip my pizza in about a gallon of sauce! When cooking for a crowd (or just a night in), something that you get to dip in something else automatically becomes that much better – we love to dip our food, layers of flavor are the American Dream (maybe, who knows – I just made that up, but lets go with it for today).
These bites can be served at a Super Bowl party or backyard BBQ or even dressed up for any Red Carpet Event. Served with a big bowl of warm sauce and stuffed to the gills with your favorite toppings, perfection. These get baked up in no time, and could even be made ahead to serve a crowd. Enjoy today filled with all of your favorite toppings and you have a instant classic!
- ¾ all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 handful baby spinach, chopped
- about a dozen slices pepperoni, diced
- 1 -2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup pre-shredded mozzarella cheese
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease well a 24-cup mini muffin tin and set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, oregano, and parsley. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and a pinch of salt and saute until mushrooms begin to release liquid, about 3 minutes. Add spinach and garlic and saute for another few minutes minutes, until spinach is wilted and garlic is fragrant. Remove from heat and throw in your diced pepperoni.
- Add egg, milk and cheese to the flour mixture and stir gently just to combine. Stir in mushroom/spinach/pepperoni mixture. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Gently stir the batter. Divide evenly between the cups of the muffin tin. Bake for 20-22 minutes, until set and browned on top. Serve warm with warm marinara.
Be sure to use pre-shredded cheese OR grate your cheese very finely to avoid big chunks which will make a mess of your bites.
Substitute in your favorite pizza ingredients in these bites to fully customize them!
Inspired By Baked In
Two Years Ago – Bacon Double Cheeseburger Dip …ooey and gooey and loaded with everything delicious 🙂
And I leave you with this, Today’s Question of the Day…What are your favorite toppings for pizza?