Some people think that Summer Time is S’mores Time… I really think that any time is S’mores Time!
These S’mores bars may be similar to others that you have seen floating around the web, or even to some that you have seen here like ones dressed up with Red, White & Blue or ones that are bar cookies dressed up as s’mores! These other smokeless s’mores are amazing – but these just take it up another notch (yes, even from the red, white, & blue ones).
The S’mores Bars I present to you today have a layer of Graham Cracker, then gooey brownies, after that comes perfectly toasty marshmallows along with crunchy & sweet Golden Grahams and of course some more melty chocolate. Yup – I told you, layer upon layer of goodness!
I whipped up these bars in no time (the longest part of this whole thing is waiting for them to chill so that you get nice even cuts, but by all means dig into them when they are warm and gooey, just don’t expect them to look quite so perfect). The lucky recipients of these were some of my students who had earned an extra reward this year due to their good behavior. I made up a few things for them to choose from and these were the first to go! I even had a parent call me the next day asking for what I made because her son came home saying that I was the best cook ever (I may have heard other students saying things like “she cooks better than my mom” and “will you adopt me” and “I want to stay in your class forever”). No, I do not cook for my students for compliments – but those compliments sure make me want to cook for them more often!
- 8-10 whole graham crackers (enough to cover the bottom of a 9x13-inch pan)
- Favorite Brownie Recipe or Box Brownie Mix & ingredients to go with it
- Golden Grahams (about ½ cup, give or take)
- mini marshmallows (about ⅓ a bag, give or take)
- (optional) melted chocolate for drizzling
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 325°F. Line the bottom and sides of a 9x13-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Lightly grease with cooking spray. Then line the bottom of the pan with tightly-packed graham crackers in a single layer. Set aside.
- Mix your favorite Brownie Mix (box or scratch) that will will a 9x13 pan according to your favorite recipe or mix.
- Spread evenly in the baking pan on top of the graham crackers (dropping it around the pan to make less work when you have to evenly spread it all out)
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center emerges slightly moist with batter - about 20 - 25 minutes.
- Remove pan and immediately sprinkle generously with mini marshmallows.Turn oven to broil, then return the pan to the oven and cook for about 3 minutes, or until the marshmallows poof up and JUST barely begin to turn golden (watch very carefully at this point to avoid fire-roasted s'mores bars)
- Remove pan from oven and immediately sprinkle with Golden Graham's (I stuck a few of them right into the soft marshmallows to be sure they stuck and to make them look extra pretty). Then melt up some chocolate (50% power for 30 seconds at a time in a plastic-bag and then just snip off the corner) and drizzle with the additional melted chocolate if desired.
- Place in the fridge for about 4 hours to let cool, then cut and serve.
As originally found, before modification, on Gimme Some Oven
And I leave you with this, Today’s Question of the Day… What motivates you to cook?