I love a good Food Combination! Spaghetti & Meatballs, Peanut Butter & Jelly, Bacon & Eggs, Peaches & Cream, Spinach and Artichoke [Dip], Chips & Salsa, Chocolate & Peanut Butter, Mac & Cheese, Ice Cream & Cake… you get the idea. This recipe combines two of everyone’s favorites – CUPCAKES and a BANANA SPLIT!
Everything that is to love about a cupcake and Banana Splits are here! There is just enough banana in this cupcake to be delicious without being totally overwhelming. Then this frosting – holy cow! I think I will have to begin using flavored creamers in all of my frostings to take them to the next level, it was totally delicious, sweet just like ice cream and that vanilla flavor was right on! And these toppings – your imagination is the only thing which is limiting you.
Two words of caution – you may experience one of two problems with these cupcakes and I just want to warn you! Issue #1 is that they will disappear before you even get to try one (so maybe enjoy one before serving to friends) Then, alternatively, we have Issue #2 – they will not even be touched by people because they are too absolutely adorable to eat. If either of these happen, I apologize, but you have been warned! Oh yeah – be sure to use really fun cupcake liners as well, because – well, its Banana Splits we are creating here!
- 1 Vanilla Box Cake Mix
- All necessary ingredients
- 2 Mashed Bananas
- SUB in 2 mashed bananas for ½ of the Oil.
- Prepare box mix according to package directions (using bananas AND ½ of the box-recommended oil).
- Bake and allow to fully cool before frosting
You COULD also experiment with using more banana for an even more pronounced flavor and just cut down the oil more, but I have not experimented with that so cannot give feedback.
I made these as mini-cupcakes to share with a crowd, just always bake for the right time/temp as directed by your mix (or your favorite homemade recipe)
- 1 stick butter
- 2+ cups powdered sugar
- approx ½ t salt
- 2 Tablespoon French Vanilla Creamer
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, mix the butter on medium speed for almost 5 minutes to allow it to get as soft and creamy as possible.
- Add in your powdered sugar (about ½ of it at a time). Mix in starting on low and then increasing speed. Finally add in your Creamer and salt.
- Mix on medium speed for a few minutes to fluffy frosting. Taste and adjust with a bit more salt or creamer or powdered sugar based on your own consistency and flavor choices.
- Pipe onto Cooled Cupcakes using your favorite piping tip (I almost always go with a basic star tip). Top with some melted chocolate (or chocolate chips), sprinkles, and of course a cherry!
As inspired by the original recipe found on the always amazing Baker’s Royale – and if you have not checked those out, or seen them floating around Pinterest, then you really need to, they are amazing and even include an amazing filling!
Another side note – I often say “in your stand mixer” and it really IS important to have a good mixer when making baked goods! They can made the most delicious light meringue AND handle heavy bread dough. One of my “must-have” kitchen essentials! I LOVE my Kitchen-Aid!
Two Years Ago – Vegetarian Stuffed Zucchini Boats
And I leave you with this, Today’s Question of the Day… What are your favorite Banana Split Toppings?