Frozen Bananas covered in Chocolate are a classic summer dessert. The big companies have even caught on and you can buy chocolate covered bananas in the frozen food aisle – but this is so easy, I have no idea why you wouldn’t just make it at home for a fraction of the price. Peanut Butter & Banana AND Peanut Butter & Chocolate are both classic combinations which I just can’t seem to get enough of! Too much peanut butter or chocolate tend to not be so great for my waist though…
The addition of low-fat Yogurt to your Peanut Butter Coating really ups the health factor of these (you could pretty much eat them for breakfast with all that yogurt and banana – maybe top with some granola instead of chocolate and it is totally a frozen breakfast treat!). Besides the yogurt making this healthier, it also makes it way easier to coat your frozen banana chunks – peanut butter tends to be pretty thick. If you would totally coat these in just peanut butter, the flavor might be a bit overwhelming too.
This recipe can be made in bulk and kept in the freezer for any daily craving. Although the sticks make them amazingly simple for dipping and creating these treats and perfect for serving up for snacking at a party, making them without sticks might make it easier for freezer storage if space is at a premium!
- 2 bananas, sliced & frozen with a toothpick
- ½ Cup Low-Fat (vanilla) Yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons Peanut Butter (or PB2)
- 1 teaspoon Coconut Oil
- ¼ cup Chocolate
- Peel and Slice your Bananas. Place them on a piece of Wax Paper (on a cutting board or something hard) and if you are using them, put a toothpick in each banana. Plastic toothpicks work better because there is no risk of them breaking off later in a frozen banana.
- Allow your bananas to harden up for about 3 hours.
- Put your Peanut Butter in a bowl and microwave for 10 seconds or so to help it soften up. Mix in your Yogurt - mix well with a fork to make it totally smooth.
- Using a spoon to help, coat each frozen banana chunk with your yogurt/peanut butter mixture - don't try to just dunk it or make it look perfect, spoon it over just make it look rough and yummy.
- Place back on your wax paper and allow to freeze for another 2 hours or so.
- Melt your chocolate with your coconut oil (on ½ power) for 30 seconds, mix and then microwave again to make it smooth. Using a spoon (or putting into a small plastic bag with a tiny corner cut off as is my favorite method) just drizzle the chocolate over top.
- Freeze again to harden and take out of the freezer just before serving!
And I leave you with this, Today’s Question of the Day… What other flavors would you love to see combined with these frozen bananas & peanut butter?