There is nothing quite like a big bowl of Mashed Potatoes! Warm, comforting, easily adaptable, goes with everything… mashed potatoes are like the Little Black Dress of foods – we all need one. (ok – they may be a totally horrible comparison in all honesty – but it popped into my head and I just kinda went with it… its my blog – I can make the horrible corny comparisons if I want to, right!?)
I know that some people tend to shy away from Mashed Potatoes because they can be loaded with butter and heavy cream and really not all that healthy for you! When I make my own mashed potatoes, I actually do not like them super smooth and creamy – I like a bit more of a rustic texture, which in turn allows me to use a TON less of the fattening stuff! You can even add in some cauliflower with your potatoes when you are boiling to hide some extra different veggies and nutrients in there for your family!
Ok, enough about “regular” mashed potatoes – let’s talk about this amazing dish that I have for you right now, here, today! We’ve all had and loved Spinach Artichoke Dip – amazing, creamy, hot, fattening, delicious – everything we want in our food. WELL – I’ve taken my go-to lightened-up Mashed Potatoes and tossed in the flavors of Spinach Artichoke Dip to give us the most delicious side that you can imagine!
No lies – I’ve actually made a dinner out of just this dish! If you are serving a crowd (or are vegetarian or entertaining a vegetarian and not sure what to serve) this dish is sure to please everyone. This dish is perfect for those cold months when you want something warm and hearty and filling, and also perfect in the spring and summer when you need to brighten the flavors you are eating and freshen them up with some veggies and keep it new. Long story short… you should basically make these Garlic Spinach Artichoke Mashed Potatoes and Live Happily Ever After!
- 6 medium potatoes, washed and cut into 1-inch cube
- approx. 6 cloves garlic - chopped in half
- ½ block of cream cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup artichoke hearts (from a jar/can), chopped
- 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach (defrosted)
- ½ to 1 cup cheese (Monterrey Jack is a good suggestion)
- ⅔ teaspoon salt (to taste)
- ⅓ teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- Scrub your potatoes and chop them into relatively even size chunks. No need to peel your potatoes unless you and your family are not a fan of the skins. Place into a large pot with the halved garlic and about 1 teaspoon of salt - cover with cold water. Bring the whole thing to a boil (being careful to always keep an eye on it so it doesn't boil over). Boil for about 10-15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Drain off the excess water and add in chucked up cream cheese and sour cream. Mash to desired consistency. Mix in the chopped artichoke hearts, spinach, (almost all) the cheese and seasonings. Mix well until mostly smooth and taste. Adjust seasonings as needed.
- Pour the whole mixture into a buttered (or greased) casserole dish. Top with the remaining cheese and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes to get everything all warm and melty!
One Year Ago – Meringue Macaroon Cookies everything awesome about a light and airy meringue mixed with the coco-nutty goodness of a macaroon!
And I leave you with this, Today’s Question of the Day… How do YOU best like your Mashed Potatoes?