Most everyone enjoys Chocolate (and those that don’t need their heads checked, but that’s just my unsolicited opinion). Also, almost everyone can also find a Red Wine that they like (even if they don’t agree with those around them on what makes it good).
These Cupcakes combine the love of chocolate & wine.
For these Chocolate Red Wine Cupcakes I figured the Cupcake Winery wine would be a perfect pairing! Cupcake Winery’s Red Velvet is a combination of Zinfandel, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Petite Sirah – which has all of the perfect elements to pair with chocolate! But, if you enjoy sweet fruits a great wine would be a nice Blackberry or Strawberry Wine – that would make this a very sweet variation but I can’t wait to try that!! No matter what, the flavor of the wine will be a nice subtle undertone to the cupcakes but will shine through more in the frosting, so be sure to use something that you like!
Why not enjoy these cupcakes as the end to a tasting party? You can have people bring their favorite cheese and a small tasting dish as well as a wine tat goes along with that dish. Or you could do the research and supply everything (but the cost savings, ease of planning on your part, and wide variety you will have of a BYO is a pretty awesome Silver Lining to having others bring it).
It doesn’t matter if you decide to enjoy these “Red Red Wine Cupcakes” for a special event or just because cupcakes seem like a good idea – you (my over 21 readers!) should plan to pick up a good bottle of red wine and get ready to enjoy some tasty Chocolate Red Wine Cupcakes!
- 1 box Chocolate Cake Mix (I used Devils Food)
- necessary ingredients for the Cake Mix, BUT using [reduced] red wine where the water is called for
- Red Wine (reduced)
- Take about 2 cups of Red Wine and bring to a boil until reduced by half. Allow to come back to room temperature.
- Mix the cake according to the box mix, BUT use the reduced wine instead of your water. Line the Cupcake Pan with liners and bake according to package directions & allow to cool completely.
- ½ cup Butter
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup red wine reduction
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Cream the Butter & Shortening together for at least a minute or two.
- Add about half of your sugar and cream some more for a delicious whipped light frosting. Then add your liquids and cream some more. Finally add the rest of your sugar a bit a time to get the perfect frosting consistency that you like (more or less as you need).
- Pipe or Spread onto your cupcakes and enjoy!
And I leave you with this, Today’s Question of the Day… What is your favorite type of (and use of) Red Wine?