This time of year many people are drowning in zucchini.
Never fear…- my Zucchini Boats and I are here to save you!
*you like what I did there – “drowning” and I have “boats” to come save you… good one right!? Ok yeah, my students make fun of my for my pathetic jokes all the time, thanks for baring with me and at least pretending to laugh a little with me there, it means a lot that you”like” my jokes.
It always seems that you have a million ways to cook zucchini until you have a million zucchini in front of you and it seems that there is just no way to prepare them! These boats couldn’t be much more simple or delicious (or healthy). Serve these as a light summer dinner (or along side of some grilled meat if you need some “animal protein” with every meal as my dad does)!
Vegetarian Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 4 zucchini
- ½ cup corn
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 small onion
- ¼ cup uncooked instant white rice
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup (give or take) shredded cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- Wash your zucchini (you want to make sure you use the more small/normal sized ones for this. Cut in half & scoop out as much of the insides as you can/would like while still allowing them to keep their shape. Brush lightly with Olive Oil and put in the Oven (pre-heated to 350 degrees) for about 10 minutes
- Chop up your scooped zucchini. In a medium pan, lightly saute your onion (I used red) then add in your garlic and the rest of your veggies. Throw the uncooked rice & water in there and turn off the heat – allowing it to sit for about 10 minutes. Taste & then season. Mix in most of your cheese and spoon the mixture into those par-cooked zucchini shells. Top with a bit more cheese.
- Place back in your oven for about 20 minutes (until starting to become golden brown on top) and enjoy!
And I leave you with this, Today’s Question of the Day… What kind of sense of humor do you have and do others appreciate it or just grin and bear it?