Around here we are in the midst of Tomato Season, which really makes me happy. One of my favorite things to do with tomatoes is just top them with some mozzarella and basil (on a plate with salt & pepper or melted between bread or chopped into a salad or even just off of the cutting board)!
So you may be wondering why I am telling you about my favorite ways to eat tomatoes in a post about peaches! Well, dear reader, I love tomato with mozzarella so I recently went to a local cheese shop to get some of their delicious homemade mozzarella. When I got home (while trying to avoid just eating all the mozzarella piece by piece) I was looking to broaden my mozzarella horizons and came across these beauties at Chew out Loud.
Grilled Peaches & Mozzarella Caprese with Basil
- 2 large ripe peaches, sliced with skin on, almost ½ in. thick
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 4 T good balsamic vinegar
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T minced fresh basil
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- pinch coarse kosher or sea salt, to taste
- Mix together all ingredients for the vinaigrette. Can even be made ahead and set aside in fridge.
- Heat grill (or Indoor Grill, like your George Foreman) to high. When grill is very hot, set peach slices on top and cook just until grill marks appear (about 2 minutes per side). Don’t over cook. Set aside to cool off (to room temp?) a bit.
- Layer slices of grilled peaches, slices of mozzarella, and fresh basil leaves (& repeat as desired). Drizzle generously with vinaigrette.
adapted from Chew Out Loud – check out the variation on the Vinaigrette over there
And I leave you with this, Today’s Question of the Day… What is your favorite thing to combine with Mozzarella?