Patriotic Fruit Cookie Cake – take some simply delicious Sugar Cookie topped with a light layer of Cream Cheese Frosting on pile on the freshest fruit you can find and you have a classic dessert sure to disappear.
Fruit Pizza, Sugar Cookie Cake, Fruit Tart, Fruit Torte, Cookie Pie… any name that this goes by it is a classic dessert which can be made in any shape, fruit combination, or flavor – sure to please all crowds!
I whipped up this version in under an hour (and we are talking under an hour from taking out the mixer to walking out the door). Talk about an impressive last-minute dessert! This version is perfect for any USA Holiday or Patriotic Event… July 4th, Flag Day, Memorial Day, World Cup, Olympics – the list just goes on and on.
Obviously the colors of this Fruit Pizza are perfect for fans of the USA. How about a Christmas Fruit Pizza with Kiwi and Strawberries. If you are in the mood for a St. Patrick’s Day Fruit Pizza you can do grapes and kiwi and apples for a green pie OR go ahead and do a whole rainbow of fruit. Easter Eggs using the rainbow of colors are another perfect way to bring more fruit and color to your dessert spread. I look forward to filling the summer with all sorts of fresh fruits to cover the tops of Sugar Cookies. Another really fun variation is to make tons of large individual cookies and then just have bowls of cut-up fruit ready for everyone to assemble their own personal fruit pies, so they can get just the right combo to make themselves happy!
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1½ cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a round baking dish (pizza pan) with some parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl (or stand mixer), cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
- Gently press the dough into an even layer to create your perfect crust. You will probably only use about ⅔ of the dough. Bake your cookie round for about 18 - 22 minutes, until starting to brown slightly around the edges but still soft in the middle. Allow to cool.
- The rest of the dough should be rolled into teaspoon-size dough balls baked on an ungreased cookie sheets and baked for 8 - 10 minutes. Let the cookies stand on the cookie sheet for a minute or two before setting to cool on a wire rack.
- ½ block cream cheese (softened to room temperature)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Cream the cream cheese until soft. Add in the vanilla and mix well. Add in the powdered sugar and the cinnamon at the same time and cream for about 3 minutes to make it as soft and delicious as possible
- Strawberries (sliced into about ¼ - ½ inch thick)
- Banana (sliced about ¼ - ½ inch thick)
- 2 Tablespoons Orange Juice with a dash of Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Strawberry (or favorite) Jelly + 1 teaspoon Orange Juice
- Dunk each banana slice into the OJ to stop it from browning.
- Layer each fruit into your favorite arrangement to make it look as good as it tastes.
- Microwave the Jelly & the Juice together and then mix well to make a thick glaze. Using a pastry brush - brush the glaze evenly over the fruit to make it stay juice and shiny and delicious
Two Years Ago – Black Bean Burgers… MEATLESS Burgers made with black beans as your delicious base!
Three Years Ago – MEATLOAF based off the Yankee Tower Meatloaf Recipe, the only way that I will eat my meatloaf, most delicious ever
And I leave you with this, Today’s Question of the Day… what is your favorite fruit to have on a fruit pizza tart?