I love to teach, I love to cook, I love to read. So here I present to you all of those things that I love, wrapped up in one neat little Pizza (which happens to also be the favorite of the man that I love!).
For the past few years my school’s (amazing) Librarian & dear friend has arranged Summer Reading Groups… at the end of the school year she has some of our 5th Grade Students volunteer to be “Reader Leaders”. Each one of those kids then choose a book they would like to read. Other students then choose a book from the list the student leaders created. Teachers also became Adult Leaders for these books. All Summer our kids and teachers (hopefully) read all sorts of great books. Then we Fast Forward to the start of the school year when our students gathered to lead our book discussions…
I love to get book recommendations from my students. I ended up with Killer Pizza being my official Summer Reading book (partially because no other teachers took it). A book about Pizza is up my alley, BUT the Killing & Monster part was a little scary for me (I’m such a baby). This was a great book and our kids loved it.
At the end of this book there is a recipe for “Fiery Dragon’s Breath Pizza” – a recipe which the main character develops throughout the book. Since my kids know how much I love to cook, the Student Leader for this book asked if I was going to make the Pizza. How could I say no…. SO, I made this Pizza & brought it in to share with my kiddos who gave it a big thumbs up. Personally, I would like even more of a kick to make it “fiery” with “dragon breath” – so kick it up or down as per your personal flavors!
Fiery Dragon’s Breath Pizza
- 1 package Pizza Dough Mix OR 1 pre-made pizza crust
- 7 oz can Tomato Sauce
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 finely chopped small onion
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ to 1 small roasted pepper
- ½ to 1 jalapeno pepper (de-seeded, & thinly sliced)
- ½ small package of pepperoni
- 1 ounce freshly grated Parmesan
- 3 ounces mozzarella
- a few basil leaves
- pinch of Cajun spices
- In a large bowl - combine the package required ingredients for your crust (or make your favorite crust OR use a pre-made crust)
- Mix your Pizza Sauce up & make sure it is nice and smooth - taste to season.
- Preheat the Oven to 450 degrees.
- Put some Olive Oil on your Pizza Pan and place your thin crust in the pan. Evenly spread your tomato sauce on top. Sprinkle your Cheese on top and then arrange your toppings.
- Bake for 8 - 12 minutes until golden brown & bubbly~!
From the book Killer Pizza, by Greg Taylor
And I leave you with this, Today’s Question of the Day… What is your favorite book (and how many times have you read it)?