I always thought that Egg Drop Soup would be much harder than this, you know those beautiful strands of eggs suspended in a delicious broth….
This soup is delicious and tastes so much better than many Egg Drop Soups that I have tasted. I normally skip soup if there is Egg Drop (I personally love Hot & Sour AND Wonton Soups; I will have to tackle those soon). Why do I skip a soup and then try to make it at home, you may be asking yourself! Well, I really do like this soup just so often it tastes watered down and just blah. Tastebuds, worry no more – this soup is delicious and easy!
So, the next time you are craving Chinese Food, there is no reason to pull out your take-out menus. Because now, you can make some delicious foods at home! This Egg Drop Soup uses ingredients that you probably already have at home (and you can just leave out the things that you don’t have, the taste will suffer slightly, but the concept will still be there) – have you tried all the awesome goodies that Thai Kitchen sells? If not, check it out and stock up your pantry!
- 4 cups quality chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon Hoisin Sauce
- 1 teaspoon clam juice or oyster sauce
- at least 2 tablespoons green onions (chopped)
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- Reserve ¾ cup of the chicken broth (it will later be mixed with the cornstarch). Pour the rest of the broth into a sauce pan. Stir in the sauces, ginger, and green onions. Bring to a boil. While your soup comes to a boil, combine the corn starch with the reserved chicken broth and mix well. Set aside.
- In a seperate bowl whisk eggs and the egg yolk together with a fork. Slowly drizzle the egg a little at a time with a fork into the boiling broth. The egg will cook right away. Pour the cornstarch mixture into the broth and stir until its mixed well. Allow everything to come together for a minute or two & enjoy.
Roughly Inspired by Blog Chef
Two Years Ago – Wing-Off, Family Style with 3 ways to cook your wings!
And I leave you with this, Today’s Question of the Day… What food do you often avoid ordering because it just doesn’t live up to your expectations?